Thursday, June 21, 2012

On Goals

"Goals are like bowling pins:  you set them up, just to knock them down.  And when you leave one standing, it just stares you down and mocks you"



Set 'em up boys



     I came up with this clever little thought one day while I was thinking about some of the things that I want to accomplish before this year is up, and even beyond that.  I'm not sure if this is a totally original sentiment that I came up with a while back, or if I had heard it or some variation on it a while back and it popped back into my consciousness because I was on the topic.  Either way, I think its a good way to look at the plans that we all make in our minds for our lives, short or long term.  If you are really serious about achieving some goal, it really should bother you when you don't get the job done. 

     Health and fitness goals are typically the ones which end up unaccomplished and gnawing at my conscience.  I don't think I am even close to being along on this one.  Any quick survey of New Year's resolutions will show that there are a whole lot of folks out there with great intentions at the start of the year, but check back in a few months and you will find a lot of folks who have moved on, leaving the weight loss, fitness, or healthy habits in the rear view mirror.  None of this is groundbreaking news.

     Last year I started off with a goal of running a 5K race and a 10K race before 2011 was over.   I managed to start off the year well enough, and by the end of May I had run in my first 5K:  The Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon 5K.  Good start to getting that resolution knocked out.  But then afterwards, the running slowed down, eventually coming to a complete stop and the 10K never materialized.  So it wasn't like I left too many pins standing, but there was that one left; standing there mocking me as 2012 started.

     So, for 2012 I decided to work on that same resolution.  Again, by May I already have the 5K portion completed.  And for good measure, I ran another 5K in June.  So far so good.  But, somewhere in logging all the miles leading up to the first 5K, and the buzz and excitement afterwards; I decided that a 10K may not be a high even bar to clear.  So I have decided to run a half marathon before the year is up.  Its definitely a bigger leap from 5K to half marathon, but if you're going to set up a goal to test yourself you might as well set it up to be a true test.  I have run 10K on my own for training, and I plan to go ahead and sign up for a 10K race still; but I want that true test of my abilities.  And I plan to leave no pins standing this time.

     



    

No comments:

Post a Comment